Chiropractor for Ear Infections
Did you know that our ears are made up of three fundamental parts? In their simplest terms, they are referred to as the outer ear, inner ear, and middle ear. Some of the most common ear infections tend to occur inside our middle ears and are otherwise known as middle ear infections or otitis media. Although middle ear infections can happen at any age, the most common instances tend to occur in children around preschool age.
Ear Infections in Children – The Statistics
Ear infections in children remain one of the most common issues addressed in pediatric healthcare. In fact, more than three-quarters of children in the United States will experience at least one ear infection by their third birthday.
Sources: Otitis Media
- Percentage of Children that will Experience an Ear Infection by Age 3 80% 80%
- Out of That, the Percentage of Children That will Experience Recurring Ear Infections by Age 4 50% 50%
Common Causes of Ear Infections
- Bacterial: Various types of bacteria infections
- Viral: Viruses, such as the common cold can cause sinusitis and thick phlegm buildup
- Respiratory Infections: Other upper respiratory infections
- Smoking: Smoking habits or repeatedly inhaling secondhand smoke
- Fluid Buildup: Other conditions that can cause fluid to build up in the ears
Signs of Ear Infection in Children (and Adults)
- Ear Pain: Persistent feelings of pain or fluid in ears
- Hearing Issues: Issues with hearing properly
- Off-Balance: Feeling or being off your balance
- Consistent Tugging or Pulling on Ears: Common in both adults and children
- Fussiness or Irritability: Especially common in children
- Decreased Appetite: Noticeable changes, often decreases in appetite
- Symptoms of Fever: Fever, insomnia, migraines, nausea, or vomiting
How Does Chiropractic Care Help Ear Infections?
Chiropractor for Ear Infections in Adults
Ear infections typically occur when there is an excessive buildup of fluid in the middle ear sections. Professional pediatric or family chiropractors can perform neck alignments, ear adjustments, and upper cervical spine adjustments that will ease muscle tension, reduce inflammation, and assist the lymphatic system with draining excess fluid buildup. Not only does this treatment help your body heal existing infections, but regular chiropractic care can help your body improve its immunity and reduce the likelihood of developing future or more severe infections.
Pediatric Chiropractor for Ear Infections in Children
It is perfectly safe to take your child, toddler, or baby to the pediatric chiropractor for ear infections. Chiropractic ear adjustments for children are based on normal treatments but were modified to fit the sizes and needs of younger patients. Ear adjustments for children tend to be more gentle, with less “popping” and dynamic, “cracking” movements involved. Additionally, most children have less muscle tension, allowing their bodies to react much more quickly to chiropractic care than their adult counterparts. A chiropractor for children’s ear infections can also assist with adjustments that help reduce long-term fluid buildup and childhood ear pain.
Percentage of Children with Ear Infections, Post-Chiropractic Care
A study published by the National Library of Medicine concluded that out of a group of 46 children with ear infections, up to 93% saw their conditions improving after chiropractic care. See more results in the table below.
Source: Ear infection: a retrospective study examining improvement from chiropractic care and analyzing for influencing factors
- Percentage of Children with Noticeable Improvements, Post-Chiropractic Care 93% 93%
- Percentage of Children with Noticeable Improvements in 10 Days or Fewer 75% 75%
- Percentage of Children with Noticeable Improvements After Only 1 or 2 Chiropractic Treatments 43% 43%
Acute vs. Chronic Ear Infections
Ear infections in both adults and children can be acute, meaning the infections are temporary and last for a short amount of time, regardless of intensity. Some acute ear infections can be mild enough that they clear on their own. However, there are also chronic ear infections, recurring ear infections that vary in intensity and are more prone to causing permanent damage than their acute counterparts.
Chiropractic and Ear Infections vs. Antibiotics
While antibiotics are typically prescribed to treat ear infections, they are unable to offer a perfect solution. Clinical research has shown that certain viruses or bacteria can develop antibiotic resistance when they become consistently exposed to the same antibiotics over time. For parents or families seeking more long-term or natural remedies, chiropractic care remains a consistent, holistic, and natural preventative health measure.
Get Your Ear Infections Treated by Your Local Family Chiropractor
When it comes to healthcare, most professionals can agree that prevention is better than treatment. At Imperium Health Center Littleton, we offer both treatments and prevention. We go above and beyond chiropractic treatments to help many Colorado children, adults, and families heal holistically. Schedule a consultation with us and learn more about taking preventative measures for a more fulfilling quality of life.